Vibrant and packed with flavour, our Curried Pork Potjie is the perfect winter warmer. Made with succulent pork cubes and cooked in aromatic spices, this recipe is perfect for a comforting mid-week meal.
Cooking a delicious curry from scratch doesn’t have to be complicated and you can easily adjust the spice level so the whole family can enjoy this winter warmer.
Want to cook like a pro? Here’s a tip. Use the coarse side of a grater to mince large quantities of ginger. You’re welcome!
CURRIED PORK POTJIE
Pork Cut: Cubed pork leg
Serves 6 | Prep time: 10min | Cooking time: 45min
- 500g pork leg cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30ml (2T) cooking oil + extra if needed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10cm fresh ginger, finely grated
- 30ml (2T) roasted masala
- 60ml (¼c) fruit chutney
- 15ml (1T) vinegar
- 500ml (2c) chicken or beef stock
- water, as needed
- 500g baby potatoes
- 15ml (1T) corn flour mixed with 30ml (2T) water
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Season the pork cubes with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pot and fry the pork cubes until brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots and bay leaves to the pot and stir-fry for 5min. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for another minute.
- Add the masala and fry for another minute or until fragrant.
- Add the chutney, vinegar and stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and simmer over medium heat for 15min. Ensure that you stir every 5 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Spoon the pork cubes back into the pot and simmer for another 10min or until cooked.
- Add the corn flour mixture and stir continuously until the stew thickens. Season with salt and pepper if preferred.
- Garnish the curry with fresh coriander and serve.